Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

How should we deal with the rest of the season?

Continue as normal, evaluate along the way.
16%
Just ban the older supporters from games.
2%
Play games behind closed doors, games to be shown on a TV.
7%
Postpone games until it all blows over.
18%
Cancel the season and let the current results stand.
5%
Cancel the season in its entirety.
52%

Total votes : 61

Re: Coronavirus - Should Sporting Events Be Cancelled?

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:06 pm

After watching Boris just now effectively locking us down, even the most fervent of the must finish the season brigade, will realise there will be no football ant time soon.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Dameerto wrote:
sheblue wrote:As this thing hasn't even reached a peak in any European countries yet, infection and death tolls still rising and on the upward curve each day. We might not even be able to start the 20/21 season on time.

There's (very early) signs it might have peaked in Italy - falling numbers of deaths and new infections for two days in a row.

Hopefully. But long way to go.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Dameerto wrote:
sheblue wrote:As this thing hasn't even reached a peak in any European countries yet, infection and death tolls still rising and on the upward curve each day. We might not even be able to start the 20/21 season on time.

There's (very early) signs it might have peaked in Italy - falling numbers of deaths and new infections for two days in a row.

They finally understood that they needed to let the virus burn itself out in the hosts that it infected. We have the worst to come and need to brace for what is about to happen.

The league, like the government, have been reactionary and I’ve not seen once ounce of leadership from any of them.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby salford city » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:38 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

They finally understood that they needed to let the virus burn itself out in the hosts that it infected. We have the worst to come and need to brace for what is about to happen.

The league, like the government, have been reactionary and I’ve not seen once ounce of leadership from any of them.

Agree with you mate in the main however, to be fair, Boris obviously had a staged plan which he has stuck to. He shit out of announcing the lock-down at a usual q and a session despite it being the right thing to do. As for the PL, they must be working furiously behind the scenes trying to salvage the funding as I'd imagine (?) that there will be no prize money available if the season does not finish & no-one can reasonably state if and when that may be
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby nottsblue » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Olympics unsurprisingly postponed
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby harveytravis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Dameerto wrote:

Looking at the stats for China is quite useful. They are about 6 weeks ahead of us in the disease process.

As of today 90% of their infected cases (72000/83000) have now recovered and restrictions in the original City for non infected cases are to be lifted tonight.

Japan and South Korea have a recovery rate of 30%

Europe is still on the upward curve with estimated total numbers of infections believed to be reaching around 12000 in the UK.

Recovery rates in Europe are still in single figures

Extrapolating these figures means we should start seeing countries recovering from the virus by the beginning of May
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby harveytravis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:07 pm

harveytravis wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Looking at the stats for China is quite useful. They are about 6 weeks ahead of us in the disease process.

As of today 90% of their infected cases (72000/83000) have now recovered and restrictions in the original City for non infected cases are to be lifted tonight.

Europe is still on the upward curve with estimated total numbers of infections believed to be reaching around 12000 in the UK.

Extrapolating these figures means we should start seeing EUROPEAN countries recovering from the virus by the beginning of May
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:18 pm

harveytravis wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Extrapolating these figures means we should start seeing countries recovering from the virus by the beginning of May

It's expected that removal of restrictions will see the virus bounce back within 8-10 weeks or so to a level requiring further spells of social distancing. This means in the 18 months it's expected before we have a commercially available vaccine, it's hard to see any meaningful organised sport taking place over a prolonged period.

We'll see soon enough with what happens with China, but the minute they open the borders and stop internal movement restrictions the shit will just start again, so with borders needing to be shut to keep this at bay international competition would be out of the question for the foreseeable future which completely rules out finishing this year's champions league.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
harveytravis wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

It's expected that removal of restrictions will see the virus bounce back within 8-10 weeks or so to a level requiring further spells of social distancing. This means in the 18 months it's expected before we have a commercially available vaccine, it's hard to see any meaningful organised sport taking place over a prolonged period.

We'll see soon enough with what happens with China, but the minute they open the borders and stop internal movement restrictions the shit will just start again, so with borders needing to be shut to keep this at bay international competition would be out of the question for the foreseeable future which completely rules out finishing this year's champions league.

As long as the dippers win the league this year.......that's all that matters to them.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Michigan Blue » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 pm

"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Simister » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 pm

zuricity wrote:
salford city wrote:
City64 wrote:Bin dipping scouse murdering thieving cunts parade cancelled , there is some good news about ! :lol:

Again? Surely not. They are one unlucky set of fuckers......

Like you , my thoughts go out to them at this terrible time....... NOT :lol: :lol: :lol:

God obviously didn't want them to win the Prem.
Simister
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: SWP

Postby PeterParker » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Simister wrote:
zuricity wrote:
salford city wrote:
City64 wrote:Bin dipping scouse murdering thieving cunts parade cancelled , there is some good news about ! :lol:

Again? Surely not. They are one unlucky set of fuckers......

Like you , my thoughts go out to them at this terrible time....... NOT :lol: :lol: :lol:

God obviously didn't want them to win the Prem.

When all of this is over we can say: Remember that time Liverpool almost won the title but then the plague came?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Pep has donated €1m to fight coronavirus; Messi and Ronaldo too.

BBC

Mike Ashley's Newcastle, on the other hand, have started to charge fans for next season's Season Tickets!
Hutch's Shoulder

Supporter of: City of course

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 pm

All English football below the National League has been abandoned and the results expunged (i.e. they will not attempt to complete the season and no promotion/relegation/prizes awarded). The commercial issues at these levels are obviously less complex and valuable than at the higher levels, but it wont be long before the others have to follow suit.
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:All English football below the National League has been abandoned and the results expunged (i.e. they will not attempt to complete the season and no promotion/relegation/prizes awarded). The commercial issues at these levels are obviously less complex and valuable than at the higher levels, but it wont be long before the others have to follow suit.

Isn’t that called ‘Setting precedence’?

My honest thoughts on the league is that The majority of the clubs want it binned but have to say they are available to adhere to the PL contract which, in turn, is governed by the PL contract with the broadcasters. That’s why the likes of Jim White are saying that this season will be played out regardless whilst the PL haven’t stated that. They have said they will do everything in their power to complete the season in the time available, nothing more. Clubs are then asked by the broadcasters and toe the line by saying they are ready to compete when it is safe to do so.

I’ve got a feeling that the broadcasters are the main losers finance wise.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PaulieIrish » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 pm

That will make us premier league champions (holders) for the 2020/21 season, which is effectively 3 in a row.

At least that's how I'm positioning it to Liverpool fans....
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby sheblue » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 am

Can we not just show a bit of common sense and face reality.
Declare the season null and void, then just start a new season when we can. Maybe October.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby salford city » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:51 am

sheblue wrote:Can we not just show a bit of common sense and face reality.
Declare the season null and void, then just start a new season when we can. Maybe October.

No facing reality for the PL. They've got to figure out how to give scouse the league whilst avoiding the relegation issues. Their biggest issue outside of that is keeping the revenue streams from advertisements as you can bet they've already spunked the current seasons and will not want to pay back any pro-rated overspend
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 pm

According to the MEN, the FA are saying that the FA Cup will be completed, even if that means playing this year's remaining games in the first part of next season (the article mentioned October).
Hutch's Shoulder

Postby bigblue » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm

salford city wrote:
sheblue wrote:Can we not just show a bit of common sense and face reality.

No facing reality for the PL. They've got to figure out how to give scouse the league whilst avoiding the relegation issues. Their biggest issue outside of that is keeping the revenue streams from advertisements as you can bet they've already spunked the current seasons and will not want to pay back any pro-rated overspend

Maybe the best thing to come out of all of this is the PL going bust and returning to the league system as it was before
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum