The Curious Case of Raheem Sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Curious Case of Raheem Sterling

Postby Outcast » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:40 am

Lets put it to bed. Sterling was alright, didn't do too shabby for us. If you still in doubt whether we should have sold him or not, put simply, who would you rather had in the champions League final vs Chelsea when we desperately needed a game changer, Haaland or Sterling?? Or even Alvarez Vs Sterling?

If you think Sterling, I suggest you get professional help
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:17 pm

Werner was woeful, so was lukaku
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:21 pm

Outcast wrote:Lets put it to bed. Sterling was alright, didn't do too shabby for us. If you still in doubt whether we should have sold him or not, put simply, who would you rather had in the champions League final vs Chelsea when we desperately needed a game changer, Haaland or Sterling?? Or even Alvarez Vs Sterling?

We could have had both but it was Sterling's call we haven't. Pep wanted him to stay - there is no absolutey doubt about that - and our current squad would be significantly improved if he were still in it. No doubt about that either. Finally, he's not been replaced by Haaland or by Alvarez that is a totally false equivalence and nobody in their right mind would think there was ever a choice between either or both of them and Raz. To suggest there was is just another baseless attack on a star quality City player who was an integral part of our success for the seven years he was with us.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:33 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Outcast wrote:Lets put it to bed. Sterling was alright, didn't do too shabby for us. If you still in doubt whether we should have sold him or not, put simply, who would you rather had in the champions League final vs Chelsea when we desperately needed a game changer, Haaland or Sterling?? Or even Alvarez Vs Sterling?

We could have had both but it was Sterling's call we haven't. Pep wanted him to stay - there is no absolutey doubt about that - and our current squad would be significantly improved if he were still in it. No doubt about that either. Finally, he's not been replaced by Haaland or by Alvarez that is a totally false equivalence and nobody in their right mind would think there was ever a choice between either or both of them and Raz. To suggest there was is just another baseless attack on a star quality City player who was an integral part of our success for the seven years he was with us.

I think there's a lot of doubt about it JC. I think he stayed so long despite his faults not just because of his brilliance. Pep'll be very glad with the summer dealings IMHO
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby PeterParker » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:36 pm

Maybe Sterling's decline was caused by the fact he is so far up his own arse he didn't see him form was not right.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:45 pm

john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

I think there's a lot of doubt about it JC. I think he stayed so long despite his faults not because of his brilliance. Pep'll be very glad with the summer dealings IMHO
That is really cheap & empty shot with not a shred of evidence to back it up.The cast iron facts are that City offered him an improved contract on several occasions which he declined each time. They did that because he was and is a fantastic player despite his shortcomings in front of goal. Raz was a key part of Pep's system for all this time here and is a great acquisition for a rival club. Unlike the ingrates on this board Pep and the vast majority of City fans would undoubtedly be a lot happier if he were still here.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:52 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

I think there's a lot of doubt about it JC. I think he stayed so long despite his faults not because of his brilliance. Pep'll be very glad with the summer dealings IMHO

That is really cheap & empty shot with not a shred of evidence to back it up.The cast iron facts are that City offered him an improved contract on several occasions which he declined each time. They did that because he was and is a fantastic player despite his shortcomings in front of goal. Raz was a key part of Pep's system for all this time here and is a great acquisition for a rival club. Unlike the ingrates on this board Pep and the vast majority of City fans would undoubtedly be a lot happier if he were still here.

We can all see what pep is like every time someone fucks up. One of his worst hates is people losing the ball. One of Razza's specialities was a) running into a defender, b) misplacing a final pass or c) simply falling on his arse, with monotonous regularity - all of these mean losing the ball. This is all aside from his amazing tendency to miss open goals and one on ones with a freakish regularity more than the law of averages.

No, we had past our Razza phase, moved on, we are a better squad. And that all added to his staggering absence of self-awareness. As you rightly say we have no idea what was offered. Certainly not an offer he couldn't refuse and, in among his snipes at the club, was one about regretting he had to move his kids - and presumably his fish tank - to London.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:53 pm

PeterParker wrote:Maybe Sterling's decline was caused by the fact he is so far up his own arse he didn't see him form was not right.
Or perhaps his alleged poor form was the direct result of the lack of a decent finisher in front of goal. With his pace down the right hand side he would be providing Haaland with many more scoring chances than he's getting currently from the likes of Mahrez for sure.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby stupot » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:55 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

We offered him a contract but he wanted parity with De Bruyne and that was never going to happen. We'd always offer a contract because you're in a far healthier position if you want to sell. There's definitely evidence Pep is delighted with the summer dealings because he's said so.
Also when you talk about the "vast majority" of City fans where's your evidence for that. All i heard at the ground for the last 2 years were complaints about him, and it's the same with all the fan accounts on social media.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:03 pm

john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

We can all see what pep is like every time someone fucks up. One of his worst hates is people losing the ball. One of Razza's specialities was a) running into a defender, b) misplacing a final pass or c) simply falling on his arse, with monotonous regularity - all of these mean losing the ball. This is all aside from his amazing tendency to miss open goals and one on ones with a freakish regularity more than the law of averages.

No, we had past our Razza phase, moved on, we are a better squad. And that all added to his staggering absence of self-awareness. As you rightly say we have no idea what was offered. Certainly not an offer he couldn't refuse and, in among his snipes at the club, was one about regretting he had to move his kids - and presumably his fish tank - to London.
None of that is relevant in the slightest - he was guilty of all the things you list but Pep was gutted to lose him and our massive loss is the Chavs gain. He and everybody with eyes to see all know we would be a far stronger team if he were still with us - nobody in the squad can offer anywhere near the same destructive pace on the flanks or on turnovers now.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:16 pm

I'll withdraw due to irreconcilable differences. You with one view, everybody else with another :D
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:19 pm

stupot wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

We offered him a contract but he wanted parity with De Bruyne and that was never going to happen. We'd always offer a contract because you're in a far healthier position if you want to sell. There's definitely evidence Pep is delighted with the summer dealings because he's said so.
Also when you talk about the "vast majority" of City fans where's your evidence for that. All i heard at the ground for the last 2 years were complaints about him, and it's the same with all the fan accounts on social media.
Neither you nor I have a scooby about what he was offered, just that it was an improved deal. It's not true that players are always offered a new contract either and although Pep says he's happy he's also said he wanted to keep Raz, which would clearly have made him happier. If all you can hear at the ground is complaints about Raz perhaps you should turn up your hearing aid or change your seat - maybe try to recall the crowd reaction after his cross to Gundo for first goal against Villa which led to us be champions for the 5th time in his career here.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby stupot » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:34 pm

Yep, the crowd reaction was all because of the cross.
Players of his age are always offered a new deal but not necessarily a better one. He threw his toys out of the pram after he was hauled off against united after again being schooled by Wan Bissaka and his relationship was never the same again.
Don't think it'd matter where my seat was - the reaction would be the same, just like after missing all the 1 on 1s and screwing up simple 5 yard passes.
Incidentally he's got 4 PL medals not 6.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby stupot » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:35 pm

4 not 5.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby gmercer1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:37 pm

Well I'm glad he's gone :D
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:54 pm

Worst team without sterling ? I'll have some of those drugs. He missed sitters and ran into trouble again last night, but scored a tap in.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:01 pm

Nick wrote:Worst team without sterling ? I'll have some of those drugs. He missed sitters and ran into trouble again last night, but scored a tap in.
Better team with him in it is the way to look at it, that's the way Pep would see it anyway - he must be on the same drugs as me and most City supporters.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:04 pm

stupot wrote:4 not 5.
sorry, quite right - only 4 PLs + 5 L Cups & 1 FA Cup
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:08 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
stupot wrote:4 not 5.
sorry, quite right - only 4 PLs + 5 L Cups & 1 FA Cup

Might have added in a CL as well if it wasn’t for that fuckwits
miss from 1 yard and his diabolical performance in the CL final against Chelsea .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:51 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Nick wrote:Worst team without sterling ? I'll have some of those drugs. He missed sitters and ran into trouble again last night, but scored a tap in.
Better team with him in it is the way to look at it, that's the way Pep would see it anyway - he must be on the same drugs as me and most City supporters.

He never started important last season thank fuck. I think pep was only playing him constantly the year before to get him to sign.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum