The Yaya Toure 'Munich' song

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Yaya Toure 'Munich' song

Postby ant london » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:27 pm

john68 wrote:You may well be sure they would Two Sips...but the fact is that they haven't ever in the past.

Honestly TwoSips....you cannot be this fucking dumb can you?

Leaving aside your personal feelings re the naughty M word, you surely cannot be blind to the fact that the press coverage that City have got this season (but in reality over the last couple of seasons) is absolutely plainly aimed at destabilising the club, upsetting and worrying the fans and generally painting Manchester City in a bad light.

EVERY time we have a game approaching there are stories about players wanting out, internal bust-ups, other clubs in for our players....Mancini for the chop. Every time we lose the press have a field day and when we win they focus on ANYTHING remotely negative so as to not give anywhere near the amount of credit actually due.

I can't be arsed with the conspiracy theories as to why, as it's pretty obvious that the journos in question have a number of personal axes to grind but to be so fucking willfully blind (just so as to not take away from your dog with a bone stance re Munich) is beyond stupid. They haven't done this with ANY other club, not even post Roman Chelsea.....it is fucking bollocks and idiots like you are doing half their job for them.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:37 pm

ant london wrote:
john68 wrote:You may well be sure they would Two Sips...but the fact is that they haven't ever in the past.

Leaving aside your personal feelings re the naughty M word, you surely cannot be blind to the fact that the press coverage that City have got this season (but in reality over the last couple of seasons) is absolutely plainly aimed at destabilising the club, upsetting and worrying the fans and generally painting Manchester City in a bad light.

EVERY time we have a game approaching there are stories about players wanting out, internal bust-ups, other clubs in for our players....Mancini for the chop. Every time we lose the press have a field day and when we win they focus on ANYTHING remotely negative so as to not give anywhere near the amount of credit actually due.

I can't be arsed with the conspiracy theories as to why, as it's pretty obvious that the journos in question have a number of personal axes to grind but to be so fucking willfully blind (just so as to not take away from your dog with a bone stance re Munich) is beyond stupid. They haven't done this with ANY other club, not even post Roman Chelsea.....it is fucking bollocks and idiots like you are doing half their job for them.

Eloquently put.

This post should be addressed to Lookmum as well........he continuously banged on about how stupid we all were believing the press had an agenda against us....which even a moron can see they have.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:44 pm

http://www.redcafe.net/f6/club-treatmen ... rs-107202/

Some very interesting comments about Harry Gregg's book. Should really be mandatory reading for rags, because they clearly have no idea at all what their club did.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:48 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
ant london wrote:

Eloquently put.

This post should be addressed to Lookmum as well........he continuously banged on about how stupid we all were believing the press had an agenda against us....which even a moron can see they have.

What, so LM has below moron intelligence? Very eloquently put.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby King Kev » Sun May 01, 2011 10:35 am

john68 wrote:Two Sips,
Throughout this debate, you have focussed on the morality of the City fans who sing use this term. Despite many posts linking the hypocrisy of the rags and the press and the immorality of that hypocrisy, you have continued to ignore that important part of the debate. Surely, as the defender of morals that you portray yourself to be, you would also have a view of the rags and media in this publicity game?

Do you believe that is is right for the media to publically castigate City fans for their apparent disrespect of the dead, whilst completely ignoring the worse disrespect shown to their own dead, over many years by the rags themselves?

Do you not think that it is morally wrong of the media to stay silent on this longer term disrespect by the rags for their own dead, by ensuring it has gone largely unreported?

Do you have any opinion as to why the media have chosen this time to voice this criticism of City fans, considering the length of time that City fans have used this term?

To avoid any confusion, this is not a criticism of your view, just a question regarding the balance of your argument. It does seem to be that, you, like the media are happy to express your disgust at City fans, whilst, by your silence, are content to accept the immorality of the rags and media.

What a brilliant post!

Such a shame that none of the questions and issues you have raised will ever be addressed, either by twosips or the media.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby twosips » Sun May 01, 2011 10:55 am

ffs - twice on this forum i've tried to reply to this over the past few days but for each time as i've pressed submit this forum has asked me to login again - when i login i take me back to the reply window with an empty box. SO very frustrating. I have my reason.

My main point in response though is 'so what? what has this got to do with United's morals? its about or own'

i've never once said United's morals are impeccable or anything. They're not - but just cos theirs are shit, why should we lower ourselves to their level? It's a childish 'well he does it so why can't i!' attitude. Something I grew out of when i was about 12. If you can't see the validity in your own actions without comparing them to someone elses then what's the fucking point.

I never once implied the rags morals' were impeccable. I was looking at our actions. I couldn't give a fuck about what happens over at Old Trafford. I'll just look at our behaviour and isolate it as it is.

(I seriously wrote fucking loads, and i can't be arsed typing it out again - stupid forum)

Oh and the daily mail thing with balotelli - i'll give you all that. it is ridiculous. While I don't believe the Mail have an agenda with US in particular, i feel they have an agenda with whoever the most headline grabbing club happens to be (which sadly is us) and whoever the public enemy no.1 and most headline grabbing player is (Balotelli sadly)...its a despicable paper. It writes reactionary things and loves to tarnish anything that the majority of the public fear. And let's be honest, we're no longer everyone's favourite little City. We're an easy target often making ourselves even easier to strike.....despite all this, I still think the Mail were right to write about the Munich chants. Wrong about the Balo incident, yes, but right on that one thing.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby saulman » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

It'll be interesting to hear if the chant gets sung today. Also, if it does, if the word gets replaced.
Has the world gone mad, ..............or is it me?
saulman
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun May 01, 2011 12:36 pm

i hear comedians making poor refrence to joseph fritzel and his daughter, i dont see front page news of these comedians taking the piss out of a innocent girl that has been consistently raped all her life and think thats what happens when you grow up!

City fans making refrence by saying the word "munichs" is absolutely nothing if i was a rag makes me shudder thinking about it, but if i was and i was called a munich, i would just reply with yeah your massive or bitters etc..........
It is a "word" nothing else.

Twosips did you complain to the bbc when russel brand and johnathan ross slagged off manuel? you sound extremely touchy an over the top over a word m8.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby twosips » Sun May 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Of course I didn't give a shit about Ross and Brand. Completely irrelevant really. Two unfunny pricks anyway if we're gonna raise that issue - sure we can always agree on that?

Thing is - i'm not a risky comedian who relies on tasteless jokes to get kicks, and most City fans aren't trying to be funny when singing these songs. They're just singing them to piss United fans off. Tis all just a little bit too hateful. That's the distinction imo.

I'm not some overly PC mong. I've joked about Fritzl etc like pretty much everyone else has. I've got a sense of humour. I just think this is all a bit 'hmmmm' and doesn't really paint us very well. It's not really about humour too is it?

The 'just a word' argument is a bit silly too really isn't it? It's like saying nothing ever should be offensive ever cos they're only words. Doesn't work that way and it never will.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby walmai » Sun May 01, 2011 1:23 pm

I once went to see City play, with a mate, at Selhurst Park, and you got the whole of the lower tier of the stand opposite the dug-outs. Think it was a promotion push. Your support was, as ever, all over the place, in the ground and outside.

Of the two loudest noises of the afternoon were:

1. The cheer that went up when it was confirmed that West Ham had won at Old Trafford (Defoe scored it), and
2. The song that nobody around me had any kind of compunction at all in singing. It was simple, despite being totally confusing to anyone but the singers. It was Town full of Munichs (you're just a town full of Munichs). We were in the pub afterwards. Palace fans were just non-plussed by it. I don't recall anyone expressing any feelings of offence.

When I was a bin, we'd sing the song about the disaster to Man United. I wouldn't be surprised if I learnt about the incident by singing that song. Of course, it is - if taken at face value - a fairly ugly idea, to sing a song of hate about a disaster, but that's what football was like those days. If it had a place in the 80's and its arguable it didn't, it hasn't got one now; tribal hatred dictated by geography has all but fizzled out for most people.

File under Harry Roberts.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby guv111 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but is anyone apart from me totally indifferent to these chants/songs?

It seems you either sing them and love them for their wind-up potential, or you hate them with a passion because it's insensitive and nasty, and because Frank Swift died. Personally, I would never sing a Munich song, but if someone sung them because of the way the Rags have turned a tragedy into "Munich 1958 PLC" I'd have little to condemn anyone for. Torino lost an entire championship-winning squad to a similar air crash - a far worse one - but they haven't rammed it down people's throats for a lifetime. Nor have they turned it into a money-making and fan-recruiting exercise, to the best of my knowledge.
Last edited by guv111 on Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guv111
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby john68 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm sorry TwoSips but your replies "so what, what has this got to do with Uniteds morals?" or that you don't give a shit about Ross and brand, are totally inadequate. You consider only the morals of City fans...but on what authority? What makes you the conscience of City fans?
I have no problem with nor is this a criticism of your own morals but those are your own. If you wish to preach to others about their lack of morals, surely that should apply to all and not just to a small group who you choose to select for your attacks.

Regarding the United morals, it actually has everything to do with it. You attacked KK for his view without knowing, nor semingly caring why that view was held, nor did you seem interested. I know that KK's opinion is very much driven by the disrespect shown by United to their own, whilst demanding respect to be shown by everyone else. In that, the actions of United, far from having nothing to do with it, actually have everything to do with it.

If you are, as you put yourself forward as, a defender of morals, then you should be defending those morals whereever they are compromised. You seem to be only concerned with the morals of individuals wearing sky blue, whilst ignoring those held by the rags and the media.

You are in fact guilty of exactly the same crime as the rags and the media.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun May 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Arjan Van Schotte wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Exactly.

I think making plane noises is tacky, not that I'd lose any sleep over it mind. But when the fucking media starts going on what should and should not be sung in football grounds it gets right on my tits. Kind of proves the point WHY so many people call them munes.

mate - the VAST majority of people in your poll have said they don't do it. coz they're decent people. fuck the media - make your own mind up.

if i told a joke about some midgets that died in a train accident - when it crashed with an elephant. and someone came forward to say that in fact, their grandad had died when when his elephant had crashed into a a midget train. i'd be mortified.

HAHA

I had missed this mate. I've always said, you are wasted here.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john68 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Antti,
Arjan will probably admit openly to have been wasted in many places.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 pm

john68 wrote:Antti,
Arjan will probably admit openly to have been wasted in many places.

HAHA

I'm pretty sure he does!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby King Kev » Sun May 01, 2011 8:03 pm

City fans were singing "We'll Sing What We Want" today, good to see some have retained a sense of humour.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby twosips » Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm

john68 wrote:I'm sorry TwoSips but your replies "so what, what has this got to do with Uniteds morals?" or that you don't give a shit about Ross and brand, are totally inadequate. You consider only the morals of City fans...but on what authority? What makes you the conscience of City fans?
I have no problem with nor is this a criticism of your own morals but those are your own. If you wish to preach to others about their lack of morals, surely that should apply to all and not just to a small group who you choose to select for your attacks.

Regarding the United morals, it actually has everything to do with it. You attacked KK for his view without knowing, nor semingly caring why that view was held, nor did you seem interested. I know that KK's opinion is very much driven by the disrespect shown by United to their own, whilst demanding respect to be shown by everyone else. In that, the actions of United, far from having nothing to do with it, actually have everything to do with it.

If you are, as you put yourself forward as, a defender of morals, then you should be defending those morals whereever they are compromised. You seem to be only concerned with the morals of individuals wearing sky blue, whilst ignoring those held by the rags and the media.

You are in fact guilty of exactly the same crime as the rags and the media.

Bullshit - I quite clearly stated that I think its completely wrong that United fans sing crap too, and that I do believe, along with you, that the media are occasionally prone to pick on us. So that's bollocks. I have no idea why you're expecting me to answer for the united fans and the press - my argument was that I don't agree with your attitude that seems to suggest 'well if they're allowed to do it then so are we', which is why I tried to separate the things and assess them both as they are. I always try and look at each incident with its own merit and without bias of another similar event.

Right. Here's my opinion and reasoning - regardless of whatever is being sung at United fans by Liverpool fans (be it munich chants etc) and regardless of the hatred between the two, do I think its ok that a small minority to sing the Heysel/Murderer chants directed at Liverpool? Do I think either team's chants at each other are valid? My opinion is that no okay, and that they are not. Regardless of any provocation. You have to put yourself above those idiots. Both sets of fans are in the wrong in my opinion. Equally as bad.

Now, with the same reasoning, regardless if a small section of United fans act all smug and annoying, and sing horrible things to us, is it then okay for us to sing Munich songs back at them to piss us off? No - I don't think it is. The initial provocative chants are wrong, yes, completely, and I don't condone that, but at the same time I also believe us rising to it and singing horrible chants back at them is childish. That's my point. You can't accuse the United fans of acting smug and annoying if you rise to their level each time.

For the record - I also don't think its right that United made a lot of their millions off the back of the Munich tragedy, but at the same time I'm not gonna sing a song about it and give it the attention that they want - i think it's wrong to use the 'munich' name in any sort of thinly veiled attacked at someone too, merely out of respect for those involved in the tragedy. It's classless, and its using something that means a hell of a lot to someone to anger someone else. Just in the same way I don't think its okay for united, despite all their reasonings, to sing songs calling liverpool fans murderers.

This is why I said it doesn't matter what the press do/what United fans sing/what other teams sing. I can only account for our actions. I cant account for others, and i shouldnt be expected to. If we want everyone to stop singing tedious horrible crap then some team somewhere is gonna have to let the songs die down, and why can't that be us? It's called being the bigger man and so on.

You have some kind of misguided opinion/agenda that we're the only team not allowed to chant horrible things and the media are picking on us without reason - however, i really believe that in the vast majority of the times that isn't the case. It's utter rubbish. YES - they overreact about Balotelli - though that's mainly just the mail - no surprise there, and YES, they're overcritical about our spending, but once again, they treated Chelsea the same way, so no surprises there hey? We're easy to beat - the money is a pretty welcoming stick....but, i do believe that the media will call out most teams with horrible chants and that no teams are allowed to do it, and no one has ever pretended they are. The fact of the matter is that normally horrible chants come from the minority of the crowd and as a result they are pretty much ignored by the press, as there's a general acknowledgement from the press and most sane people possessing any level of common sense that 'you can't control every idiot' and these chants will always have a small place - i.e hillsbrough chants, heysel chants, hissing noises at spurs fans. So yes, these are mostly overlooked by the press. I've heard munich chants at City's stadium for ages, and its pretty much always overlooked, just like the heysel chants etc. T

However, I believe the ONLY reason that these recent chants have been brought to light is because it no longer seemed like the majority - and it struck me, it struck the press, and it struck most football fans across the country at the same time. It really stood out as the first time it felt like the 'majority' had sang a song relating to the disaster and only then, after people politely playing down the chants for years, dismissing it as the 'song sang by the minority - oh well!', did it seem like a problem - and this was no doubt helped by the fact that the Munich programme had been on the tele the night before. I was sat watching the game (i don't go to away games - go on, someone make a dig that suggests im not a true fan - yawn) and it was the first time i actually cringed and thought 'that doesn't come across well at all' - i actually knew there would be articles on it the next day given everything, and it really didn't surprise me one bit. I felt the same way - I was embarrassed. Hence this thread - I wasn't the only city fan - in fact, i'm in the majority...

So there you have it - my opinions and responses. Yeah I got a little angry early on in this thread, and I shouldn't have, and I apologise for that, but i still stand by my assertion that it's really really wrong to sing about these songs knowing that embedded within them there is a reference to a tragedy that really really upset and hurt a fuck load of people..

And the Russell Brand and Ross thing - give over. No, i don't give a shit. It was some tasteless jokes between two adults about one bloke sleeping consensually with another bloke's daughter. Christ - it couldn't be less comparable. No one got 'hurt'.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Twosips for as much as i agree with what your trying to say, it just sounds like your asking for a perfect world. Last year at the semi final at coms when the rags let flares go when the lights went out the whole stadium started shouting at once "munichs" "munichs" i looked around and it was nearly every fan.

at the time i was thinking all the anger and hatred for that club stems from how they handled and treated the munich air survivors and used it to build their fanbase across the globe. As well as everything else they do all summed up into 1 word "munichs".....

I wasnt alive when it happened and anytime i have sang it with the rest of the supporters i wasnt thinking about how it would piss them off it was just a label for them, as they dont see how shite their own club is.

Im no historian and as much as id love no horrible things to be sang at football or horrible things that go on after the game, or horrible things in the world for that matter. I just think its part of football and your wasting your energy mate.

But you are right.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Sun May 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Just watching a shit Irish TV show called Katherine Lynch's Wagon's Den.

She fancies herself as a bit of a comedian - she just said her mother had all her teeth taken out, but it was fine because she's a hooker... then she said "50 euro and you get more head than Lady Di's dashboard".

When the audience gasped and groaned she said "Its a joke, relax. Comedy is tragedy plus time, its 15 years ago, get over it".

I'm not sure what side of the argument this helps, or if it helps at all, I just found it relevant to thread so I thought I'd share!
Original Dub

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun May 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Original Dub wrote:Just watching a shit Irish TV show called Katherine Lynch's Wagon's Den.

She fancies herself as a bit of a comedian - she just said her mother had all her teeth taken out, but it was fine because she's a hooker... then she said "50 euro and you get more head than Lady Di's dashboard".

When the audience gasped and groaned she said "Its a joke, relax. Comedy is tragedy plus time, its 15 years ago, get over it".

I'm not sure what side of the argument this helps, or if it helps at all, I just found it relevant to thread so I thought I'd share!

You can mock the princess of wales "ROYALTY" !!!!! but cant piss a few united fans off with the word munich......

Someone report that irish bitch to they daily mail should be front page news i tell ya.
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum